A few questions answered by photographer Carl Swahn.
Where are you from?
– “I’m from Stockholm, Sweden.”
How old are you?
– “I’m 35.”
How long have you’ve been into photography?
– “I bought my first black and white darkroom in 1993, that’s when I got into it for the real. I developed pictures day and night. The next big step was when I bought my first DSLR, a Canon EOS 300D (kiss?).”
Which photographic genres do you like best?
– “I work across many different genres, fashion, advertising, product, stockimages and more, but I like to take photos of people in general.”
What is your dream assignment?
– “Since I most of all like to take photos of people I would rather think of a dream session with a person, than a dream assignment. I would really like a photo session with Charlize Theron who is not just extremely fotogenique, but also a great actress. I’ve understood that she had a tough background and has been working really hard to achieve all her well deserved success. That’s inspiring, and I like working with people that inspires me.”
Your favorite website?
– “Smashing magazine is very inspiring, even though it’s not specifically about photography.”
What other photographers do you like?
– “I like photographers that go their own way and take photos with heavy impact. Larry Clark and Terry Richardsson are such photographers and I really love what they do. Since this is a blog about lighting setups I feel that I must mention Jill Greenberg and David La Chapelle even if that might be a bit too predictable.”
Your favorite lighting setup?
– “Even though I’m very interested in lighting setups, I have no specific favorite. But I like shooting on location so I prefer lighting setups that doesn’t require much lighting equipment.”
Favorite photo accessory?
– “That must be my Elinchrom Skyport, a radio trigger for my strobes. It’s really great!”
Let’s have a look at some of your photos
Here’s my blog in Swedish: Carl Magnus Swahn
or take a look at my istock portfolio.